Monday, August 17, 2009

Week 3 Pre-Orientation





Here it is another week come and gone. That is, another week of nothing terribly exciting has happened; as I'm waiting for the financial aid office to come through with those thousands of dollars in loans.
They think that their gettin' that cash back....
...
...and they will. With Interest. Lots of interest.
So on the note of having no money, I had a great weekend. Check it out:
I made a trip to the Smithsonian. Well, not the entire Smithsonian. Actually, very little of it.

I managed to get myself out of bed, and into town. I visited the National Museum of African Art. Which had a couple of main exhibits which were somewhat interesting. Honestly though, "Animals in Art" was not so impressive. Yeah, the pieces were all right, but the set-up was less than impressive.
At least they had various examples of African animal art. The rest of the Museum was a much better treat. There were masks,
speaking sticks, and some other small trinkets. Some of the speaking sticks were really more like staffs that were apparently used when communicating between tribes. Cool.
To be truly honest though, I liked the mask of "oloju foforo". It seems to mean "the owner of the deep-set eyes". Naturally an important mask of vision and representation of wisdom. At least, that's how I see it. I like to imagine this mask as a physical representation of myself, with the deep-set eyes and all. Especially since those very noticeable adornments above the holes would serve as enormous eyebrows when looking through the mask. Maybe not.

Then joined up with V and we hit up the Freer Art Museum. She was into the "Tsars and the East" exhibit, and I checked out the "Tale of Shuten Dooji". You know me. It was an interesting tale to learn about, and the prints were really pretty amazing. All of the examples did manage to resemble each other, just in different forms. Some on fans, some on those changing shades. It was a pretty fun little story:
Scary demon on a hill kidnaps girls, local warlord type figure sends out his samurai squad, they find him, cut off his head, bring back the girls who are still alive, and parade through town with the head of Shuten Dooji.
Hooray. Apparently taking photos wasn't allowed inside. I guess they didn't want images of their special exhibit to get out. Understandable.

I uh, found that online. On a different note. Checked out Georgetown a little. I didn't take any photos out there, though it was allowed. There was an old building made of stone, I guess its the oldest self-standing building, or some business like that, built in 1765-ish. The university was super nice, with mighty impressive brick buildings, you know, old churches and whatnot.
After walking around all day, the night ended at Capitol City Brewing Company. The Pale Rider Ale was nice and pale, bitter, but it didn't really hit the spot. I might order it again, but really, one was probably enough.

Thanks guys, I miss you. As for now, classes start next week. That means that tomorrow I'm hitting the books, and should get my homework done before orientation starts up. Yeah, I know, homework already. What's a few pages?

Well I'll tell you. "The Legally Enforceable Promise: Basic and Recurring Themes"
Huh???

Law

No comments:

Post a Comment