Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Week 1 is done.

Week 1. is done. I haven't started school yet, but I have been here for awhile and figure I should probably get some of this business down before I forget it all.

So, this is where I live.... It's a pretty swank little place with character.
The most frustrating being the fact that I liv in the basement, where the only daylight I get comes through a 2' x 2' window. This has made adjusting to the time difference pretty difficult. So I'm still waking up at 9:30 disappointed 'cause I missed part of the day and feel like I should sleep in for another couple of hours.
I've been given a box fan, which must have been from the 70's and has subsequently died due to natural causes I'm sure. So I got me a sweet tower fan, one of those thin quiet jobs that's supposed to circulate the air better.
Finally, as far as complaints of my living space, the shower is terrible. With a fancy shower head that has the ability to switch and adjust stream levels using advanced 80's bike gear technology that one must swivel around to find the right spot, the water still drips out. In order to rinse off I have to perform some type of snake charming ritual with my arms and body so that I can maneuver around enough to get clean. All in all, I'm thankful to have it.


This little situation lets me go to school, here. This little gem of a school has given me a rough time already, weeks before the whole thing gets underway. As if trying to get under me and disqualify me from the preliminaries, coincidence has allowed for our schedules to not agree. Living in the home that I have, means that I have to be available from 3:30-6ish. Yes, I'm a babysitter. But it's a fine time to continue my own studies and help with my French.
So, my classes have been scheduled roughly from 3-5, 2 of the 5 days I need to be watching kids do homework, and 5-7 another one of those magical days. Hooray. Simple enough solution though, right? Just change the schedule. After changing my schedule, and being done with it; I was discontented to find an email assuring me that despite my schedule having changed, the school had corrected the problem. I emailed a reply to Ms. D, she wrote back telling me to send a request through the registrar. I sent an email request to the registrar. I received a response from Ms. D, the registrar, telling me that schedule change was not possible. Yikes.
Being here in DC, I tried to go reason my case in person. It paid off, she assured me that she hadn't said "no" yet. Granted it wasn't true, she had written and said it was "not possible". I accepted that response for a glimmer of hope. After a week, a hand-written thank you note to Ms. D, and another email to the registrar, more concerned and desperate than the others, I have received the means to change my schedule.
All I need now are some documents outlining my previous engagements that are to be triple signed, initialed at all of the responsibilities and time-restricting explanations, laminated, and dated 3 weeks before any of the scheduling had occurred.
Thank goodness I can stay.

Law

PS. Sales Tax is not fun, and DC can be pricy.

1 comment:

  1. you're lying to yourself if you think we believe your story about having difficulty snake charming in the shower, lawrence.

    ReplyDelete